6D ATR-2Y Aero Helmet (Blue)
Introducing the new ATR-2Y with advanced ODS. 6D changed the helmet industry forever in 2013 with the introduction of the revolutionary ATR-1 off-road motorcycle helmet with its patented Omni-Directional Suspension (ODS) technology. 6D's technology has been studied, analyzed, and tested by some of the greatest minds in head protection, and has proven itself effective all around the globe, and across multiple 6D helmet designs by now.
Introducing the all new ATR-2Y youth off-road competition helmet. Simply put, it's the next level in brain protection for the today's youngest moto athletes. The 6D ATR-2Y follows directly in its parent's footsteps. It is the most advanced helmet available for off-road motorcycle (or cycling) competition or recreational riding. Infused with the same advanced ODS technology as the adult ATR-2, the youth model was specifically designed for the needs of the growing child and their still-developing brain. Softer foam liners combined with a more aggressive and freer uncoupling carrier system, provide truly next level protection.
- Multi-Impact Outer EPP (Expanded Polypropylene) Liner: 6D strategically positioned the multi-impact EPP outer liner against the helmets shell's inner surface. An exceptional energy absorption material, the EPP was specifically engineered with islands of EPP "Damping Towers" to assist in progressive loading of the ODS system during impacts. The multi-impact capability of the EPP is one of the key elements that allows the rebuilding (provided the helmet's shell is not compromised from the impact event) of the ATR-2Y after a moderate to severe impact.
- ODS Carrier: The ODS carrier allowed the development of a modular helmet design that is easily rebuildable. The carrier also supports the isolation dampers and helps to manage the system materials during impact, compression, and shearing loads. ODS self-centers post impact.
- Replaceable Inner EPS: The inner EPS liner is the first layer of defense and a very important component of the new advanced ODS design. It is effectively a helmet within a helmet. It has its own in-molded PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) shell that serves many functions. It nests into the ODS carrier, provides strength and integrity to the EPS, and serves as a slippery surface to aid in reducing angular acceleration forces. The EPS is a softer density than the EPP and is secured into the helmet with four locking pins that mate to the ODS carrier. It is also captured by the Chin Bar EPP which provides additional security.
- Low-Friction Disks: Multiple smooth disks top the damping towers to reduce friction under loading thereby assisting in angular acceleration mitigation.
- Elastomeric Isolation Dampers: An array of Isolation Dampers connect the ODS carrier to the outer EPP liner and work in unison to isolate impact energy from the brain. The elastic properties of the dampers, combined with their unique shape provide a progressive spring rate that assists in managing low-threshold energy. The hour glass shape and the elastic properly also work to manage the three-dimensional displacement of the inner liner.
- Optimized Shell Design: The 6D concept of "Optimized Shell Design" does not define one element, but a system where multiple materials work together, in concert, to provide greater protection and energy management. The shell must have the structural integrity to prevent penetration, but it should not be overly stiff or rigid either. An overly stiff and rigid shell can seriously compromise the helmet's energy management potential.
- Structural Brow Rib: A Structural Brow Rib provides incremental strength to the upper eyeport area providing additional integrity to the shell nearest the eyeport opening.
- Cervical Protection Zone: A strategically designed Cervical Protection Zone nests inside the lower rear base of the helmet. This area is designed to provide a more compliant crushable region in the event the helmet is pushed down and back into the neck and spine during an accident.
- EPP Liner Chin Bar: The thicker lower density EPP lined chin bar is more durable and provides more energy absorbing material from side impacts to the jaw area. It also includes a sternum pad.